Friday, January 06, 2006

What's This Life For?

32 years and here's how far I have got with this eternal question:
1. I am not "God" - a real shame as I had such great plans for the place.
2. 32 years and I still haven't got over this wee revelation.
3. It's not about me - another tough bit of news to digest.
4. Increasingly, the world is becoming a messed up place.
5. If you ain't part of the solution, you're part of the problem.
6. I have a unique set of character traits, abilities (yes plural!) and experiences that can be put to good use towards a solution.
7. I cannot live in my small, safe, cozy little world, knowing that I could do something, but failing to do so due to apathy, selfishness or fear.
8. A life lacking integrity, lived purely for oneself, is no life.
9. Life is about relationship - to our self, to our environment, family, friends and higher powers and principles. Life without connection to 'other(s)' is meaningless and pointless.
10. I need to get a life - the life I was born to live.
...thats about all I have so far. All pretty general stuff. When it comes to specifics I know nothing: Where do I fit in the grand scheme of things? What am I supposed to be doing, how, where and who with - What do I want to be when I grow up?
The "What's this life for" Tour is just another stepping stone in my quest for some answers. It marks a new phase in my life - one where I take responsibility for my choices and direction, make decisions & act on them and challenge myself in a very real way to step out of my comfort zone, abandoning my excuses & self-imposed restrictions, in order to fully utilise my talents, in service of others.
I have never travelled, much less on my own, but I have travelled through this life largely on my own strength. I know that if I fall I usually land on my feet and if I don't, I know that I always get back up again. That's about all I have at my disposal as I journey into the complete unknown. So... if you are on a similar journey, or even if you a closet sadist who enjoys watching other people stumble & trip - come along for the ride!

2 Comments:

At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi,

I have been listening to you plan your OE for years now. Am happy it is finally coming to fruition for you. I know you will be a changed person from your experiences along the road, when you return to NZ. Make sure you dont adopt too many orphans along the way. I look forward to reading your stories as they unravel.
Jennifer

 
At 3:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey mummy. I'm just getting used to the idea of how i will write to you. Will write again when actually go!!!

Love you heaps

Bait!!!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home